To comply to data privacy requirements or to get an approval from the ethics committee you usually have to prepare an informed consent that the participant has to sign.
The content of such an informed consent is out of the scope of this documentation but you have to include information about the data you aquire and the institutes involved in processing the data. Because movisens is involved in processing the data you have to include information like the following:
movisens GmbH, Karlsruhe, Germany is allowed to process the data collected by the smartphones and store them in the datacenter of the TelemaxX Telekommunikation GmbH in Karlsruhe, Germany until the data is requested for deletion by the researcher. The data is collected and stored pseudonymized, the identity of the participant is not known to movisens. The study is not allowed to collect data from the participant that allows movisens uncovering the identity of the participant.
We cannot give legal advice here, because the law is different in each country! Please consult your data privacy officer.
We implemented the following security protections
- 256 Bit encrypted data transfer on all data channels (between smartphone and server respectively server and browser of the researcher).
- 256 Bit encrypted data storage on the smartphone. Decryption of the data will happen only on the server. If a smartphone is lost by the participant, the data collected cannot be decrypted by a third person.
- Our hosting provider (1&1 IONOS Cloud GmbH) cares for data security, data privacy and that the server is hosted in a secure environment (see Data Protection Package (German). The physical servers are hosted by the TelemaxX Telekommunikation GmbH in Karlsruhe, Germany and is ISO 27001 certified which means that he cares for reliance, privacy, integrity and authenticity.
- movisens does not know the identity of the participant. All participants get a pseudonym. In the study no personal data is allowed to be collected that allows to identify the participant (e.g. name).
- If you have a movisensXS-Account and are the administrator of your account you can digitally sign a Data Processing Contract.
- More information about our data processing can be found here.
Bolger, N. & Laurenceau, J.-P., 2013. Intensive Longitudinal Methods: An Introduction to Diary and Experience Sampling Research, Guilford Press.
Conner, T.S. et al., 2003. A Practical Guide to Experience-Sampling Procedures. Journal of Happiness Studies, 4(1), pp.53–78.
Conner, T.S. & Mehl, M.R., 2011. Handbook of Research Methods for Studying Daily Life 1 edition., New York: The Guilford Press.
Fahrenberg, J. et al., 2007. Ambulatory Assessment - Monitoring Behavior in Daily Life Settings. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 23(4), pp.206–213.
Stone, A.A. & Shiffman, S., 2002. Capturing momentary, self-report data: A proposal for reporting guidelines. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 24(3), pp.236–243.
Trull, T.J. & Ebner-Priemer, U., 2013. Ambulatory Assessment. Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol, 9, pp.151–76.
Cranford, J.A. et al., 2006. A Procedure for Evaluating Sensitivity to Within-Person Change: Can Mood Measures in Diary Studies Detect Change Reliably?
Singer, J.D. & Willett, J.B., 2003. Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence.
Snijders, T.A.B. & Bosker, R., 2011. Multilevel Analysis: An Introduction to Basic and Advanced Multilevel Modeling Second Edition edition., Los Angeles: SAGE Publications Ltd.
West, B., 2007. Linear Mixed Models: A Practical Guide Using Statistical Software.
Lock other applications
The Lockout-Mode prevents the participant from accessing applications other than movisensXS. To enable the Lockout-Mode, change the configuration parameters of the Sampling running node in the Sampling tab of the web console. Activate Full Screen and Lock other applications. If it is configured and the Study is running the Smartphone will block other applications and will instead launch movisensXS.
Next Alarm of movisensXS is Shown
Since Android 6 we have to use a different programming scheme in order to schedule our alarms in the exact fashion we need. This may result in showing of the next alarm on the lock screen or in the status bar (depends on vendor and model). It may look like this:
You can resolve that issue with the installation of a lock screen replacement like the Ava Lockscreen or any other replacement.
If you use the Lock other applications functionality add the lock screen replacement to the allowed apps in the Sampling running node e.g. com.jamworks.alpha for Ava Lockscreen
Available App Languages
The language of the movisensXS app is automatically chosen depending on the configured smartphone language. The study control screens are always in English. Only the screens the participant sees are translated.
The following languages are currently available.
If your language is missing, just register at transifex as a translator and than go to movisensXS app translation, select your language and press Join team (top right). We will approve your account and your translations will be included in our next release.
File Formats of the Results
The questionnaire results can be downloaded in different formats:
- Excel 2007 (XLSX): Default option when downloading results.
- Comma-separated values (CSV): CSV for regions where the decimal separator is a '.'.
- Semicolon-separated values (CSV): CSV for regions where the decimal separator is a ','.
- Multimedia Results (ZIP): Contains all captured multimedia files in a ZIP.
The questionnaire results contain the following columns:
- Participant: The participant id.
- Trigger: The name of the trigger that lead to the execution of this form.
- Trigger_date & Trigger_time: The time when the trigger occured that lead to the execution of this form (in the time zone of the smartphone).
- Trigger_counter: This counter is incremented each time a trigger (yellow block in the sampling) is executed. Each time e.g. a "Random Time" or a "Button pressed" is executed the trigger counter increments. If multiple forms are placed after one another (e.g. after a "Button pressed" trigger), than the "Trigger Counter" has the same number for all these consecutive forms.
- Form: The name of the form as specified in the movisensXS web console.
- Form_start_date & Form_start_time: The form start time (in the time zone of the smartphone).
- Form_finish_date & Form_finish_time: The form finish time (in the time zone of the smartphone).
- Form_upload_date & Form_upload_time: The upload time (in Central European (Summer) time which is UTC/GMT +2 hours in winter or UTC/GMT +1 hours in winter. The current time zone can be found here.
- Missing: If this column is not empty than this form is missing and the column describes the reason. (Ignored = Participant did not respond to the alarm, Dismissed = Participant dismissed the alarm, Incomplete = Participant did not complete the form, Canceled_by_new_alarm = A new alarm canceled the previous alarm)
- 1-n Columns for each item: For each answer option of a Select Many Item a column is created with the label and the answer option. 0 indicates not selected, 1 indicates selected.
All dates and times are stored in the local time zone of the smartphone except the Form_upload_date/time.
Mobile Sensing Results
- Unisens Log File (ZIP): If you are using logging features (beta), the files are logged in the unisens file format.
- Unisens Log File in minutes (XLSX): This Excel file tries to aggregate the logged data. Please note this file does not contain all data and is only intended for an overview!
- Track as Google Earth File (KMZ): If you are using the location tracking feature (beta) you can use this file to get an overview over the track of the participant. Only location data with an accuracy better than 100m is included. The KMZ file contains the location data and can be opened with tools like Google Earth or online with the GPS Visualizer. You can also use Google Earth to show the Elevation Profile of the track.
Beginning with app version 0.6.3591 you can select the alarm sound in the settings of the movisensXS app. You can either choose an alarm that shipped with your device or if you install the ES File Explorer File Manager you can also select audio files you placed on the device.
Cite movisensXS in Publications
To cite movisensXS please include the version of the smartphone app. You can find the version numbers and the dates when they was released in the Recent Changes. For example:
movisensXS, Version 1.4.8 (movisens GmbH, Karlsruhe, Germany)
Thanks so much to